SSC CGL Exam Pattern Tier I, II, III and IV 2020 – 21
Exam Pattern of SSC CGL 2020-21: Staff selection commission conducts combined graduate level examination in four tiers (or 4 phases). The first two tiers (Tier 1 Prelims and Tier 2 Mains) of the ssc cgl exam are conducted as computer-based tests (CBT) in Online mode. SSC CGL Tier-III (Descriptive paper – Essay and letter writing) is held in offline mode as a pen and paper test. Tier-IV (Skill Test), is know as typing test. Computer proficiency test – CPT and data entry skill test (if applicable)/document verification.
Mode of SSC CGL Exams
In this post we are talking about exam pattern of ssc cgl exam, so you should be aware of the mode of said examination.
|SSC CGL Exam Tier||Examination Mode|
|Tier I||Online (Computer Based Test)|
|Tier II||Online (Computer Based Test)|
|Tier IV||Computer proficiency test/skill test/document verification|
SSC CGL Exam Papers/ Sections
|SSC CGL Tier I||4 sections (English Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness, Quantitative Aptitude, English Comprehension)|
|SSC CGL Tier II||4 papers (Quantitative Abilities, English Language and Comprehension, Statistics, General Studies)|
|SSC CGL Tier III||1 paper (descriptive paper in English or Hindi)|
SSC CGL Exam Marks, Questions, Time Duration
|Tiers||Tier I||Tier II||Tier III|
|Exam Duration||60 mins||120 mins for |
|No of Questions||100||100+200+100+100||2|
|Type of Questions||MCQs||MCQs||Descriptive|
|Language of Papers||English/Hindi||English/Hindi||English/Hindi|
SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern
First please go through the official notification of staff selection commission. As you know, SSC Asks 100 Multiple choice questions in SSC CGL Tier-I exam. Total no of marks is 200 marks. Candidates need to complete the exam in given time duration, which is 60 minutes (one hour). This paper will be conducted in online mode (computer based test).
|SSC CGL Tier-I Subjects||No. of Questions||Marks|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
|General Awareness (GK)||25||50|
|English Language and Comprehension||25||50|
SSC CGL Tier 1 Negative Marking
Note – If your answer is correct then you will be awarded with 2 Marks, Otherwise there will be negative marking of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer. There is no sectional cut off and No point will be deducted if you have not attempted any questions or for unattended questions.
SSC CGL 2020 Exam Pattern and Marking Scheme for Tier-II (Mains)
SSC CGL Tier-2 will be conducted in online mode (Computer based tests – CBT). There are 4 Papers in this CGL Mains exam. Paper 1 – Quantitative Aptitude, Paper 2 – English Language and Comprehension, Paper 3 – Statistics and Paper 4 – General Studies (Finance & Economics)
|Serial No.||Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|1||Quantitative Ability||100||200||2 hours|
|2||English Language and Comprehension||200||200||2 hours|
|4||General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200||2 hours|
SSC CGL Tier 2 (Mains) Negative Marking
Note – If your answer is correct then you will be awarded with 2 Marks but in English comprehension par 1 Mark for 1 correct answer, Otherwise there will be negative marking of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer but in English Language and Comprehension paper, there will be negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer. There is no sectional cut off and No point will be deducted if you have not attempted any questions or for unattended questions.
SSC CGL Tier-3 Exam Pattern
Tier-3 of SSC CGL known as a descriptive test. In this paper, Essay writing, Letter, Application or Precis writing questions asked by staff selection commission. The paper will be in English/Hindi language and Total weightage of this paper is 100 marks. The entire SSC CGL Tier 3 paper should be completed within given 60 minutes time duration.
|SSC CGL Tier-III Exam Description||Marks|
|Descriptive Paper in English or Hindi(Writing of essay/precis/letter/application, etc.)||100|
- The Paper in Tier-III will have to be written either in Hindi or in English. Part paper written in Hindi and part in English will be awarded zero marks.
- In Tier-III, candidates must write their correct Roll Number at the prescribed places on the cover page of the Answer Book. Candidates must also affix signature and Left-hand Thumb Impression in the relevant columns in the Answer Book. Answer Books not bearing Roll Number, Signature and Left-hand Thumb Impression shall be awarded zero marks.
- Candidates are strictly advised not to write any personal identity e.g. name, roll number, mobile number, address, etc inside the Answer Book (TierIII). The candidates who fail to adhere to these instructions will be awarded zero marks even if marks are awarded during the evaluation process
SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier-IV
SSC CGL Tier-IV exam is know as a Typing test or a Computer skill test. The staff selection commission official notification informs, “Computer Proficiency Test/Skill Test (wherever applicable) / Document Verification will be conducted”. The Tier-IV exam will be conducted by the commission in two types as mentioned below:
- SSC CGL Data Entry Skill Test (DEST): Candidates are required to type 2000 words in 15 minutes on a computer in English. This test is conducted to check a candidate’s writing skills.
- SSC CGL Computer Proficiency Test (CPT): This test is conducted to check a candidate’s proficiency in Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Generation of Slides. This test is conducted for candidates who apply for the following posts:
- Assistant Section Officer in CSS MEA and AFHQ
- Assistant in Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) under the Ministry of Corporate Affairs
- Assistant (GSI) in the Ministry of Mines
- Inspector (Central Excise)
- Inspector (Preventive Officer)
- Inspector (Examiner) in CBEC
The test is of qualifying nature and consists of three modules:
- Word Processing
- Spread Sheet
- Generation of Slides